Re: minimizing size (was Re: allocation of Georgian letters)

From: vunzndi@vfemail.net
Date: Thu Feb 07 2008 - 16:12:43 CST

    Quoting "John H. Jenkins" <jenkins@apple.com>:

    > On Feb 7, 2008, at 3:48 AM, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
    >
    >> Do cellular devices nowadays even support a full BMP? I very much doubt it,
    >> so they will almost always use some optimization scheme or specialized
    >> encoding. I would need to check GSM specs to see if SMS or MMS has anything
    >> to say about it.
    >>

    > My cell phone can handle anything in the BMP for which it has fonts
    > (and possibly the astral planes, too; I haven't checked them). I think
    > it's also limited to scripts that don't require complex layout. (The
    > iPhone guys are very reticent to divulge details like that even within
    > Apple.)

    One would hope in the long term that even mobile phones will have full
    unicode support. Certainly this is something I would, and do, advocate.

    To put things in contaext in China, mobile phones are common and
    support Chinese. My wife's mobile phone even allows one to write
    characters on phone pad and select the character you want, and her
    phone is by no means the most expensive.

    One of the biggest obstacles is that of R & D. This is why I advocate
    that there is a need for full uniocde support in mobile phones, mp3/4
    players, etc. This would provide a good infrastructure for lesser
    supported scripts supported scripts, and certainly more pratical that
    loking for a script by script solution.

    Reagrds
    John Knightley

    > =====
    > John H. Jenkins
    > jenkins@apple.com

    This message sent through Virus Free Email
    http://www.vfemail.net