Re: Encoding Stability: are exceptions possible?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@roadrunner.com)
Date: Mon Mar 31 2008 - 08:54:49 CST

<abysta at yandex dot ru> wrote:

> PE WITH MIDDLE HOOK is historic, not Abkhaz language.
>
>> the character Ҧ/ҧ is part of the current orthography.
>
> No. PE WITH DESCENDER is used currently instead of PE WITH MIDDLE
> HOOK.
> http://www.unicode.org/udhr/n/abk/abkhaz06.png
> http://www.mfaabkhazia.org/ (see the heading)

Ah. That answers my second question, although it wasn't obvious from
the original post, which referenced the Wikipedia article, which states
that PE WITH MIDDLE HOOK "is the 36th letter of the Abkhaz alphabet" and
doesn't mention anything about PE WITH DESCENDER.

My first question still remains: why does the code point matter? The
only reason I can see why PE WITH DESCENDER would *have* to be kept
close to the other Abkhaz letters is to improve SCSU performance, but
most people don't worry much about SCSU any more.

http://www.ewellic.org