Contradiction in casing information in Unicode official sources.

From: Jim Allan (jallanite@rogers.com)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2008 - 20:32:36 CDT

    According to Unicode specifications from Unicode version 1.0 up to the
    current version of Unicode, the character U+026A LATIN LETTER SMALL
    CAPITAL I (ɪ) capitalizes as U+0197 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH STROKE (Ɨ).

    See the official Unicode charts for the IPA Extension at
    http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0250.pdf .

    Under U+026A ɪ LATIN SMALL LETTER CAPITAL I the charts state:
    “→ 0197 Ɨ Latin capital letter i with stroke”.

    Under U+0268 ɨ LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH STROKE the charts state:
    “• ISO 6438 gives lowercase of 0197 Ɨ as 026A ɪ not 0268 ɨ”.

    Similarly see the Latin Extended-B block at
    http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0180.pdf.

    Under U+0197 Ɨ LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH STROKE the charts state: “•
    ISO 6438 gives lowercase as 026A ɪ, not 0268 ɨ” and also state “→ 026A ɪ
    latin letter small capital i”.

    But the Unicode case folding table at
    http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/CaseFolding.txt has long disagreed.

    To summarize, the position in the casefolding table is:
    U+026A ɪ LATIN SMALL LETTER CAPITAL I does not case
    U+0268 ɨ LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH STROKE uppercases to U+0197 LATIN
    CAPITAL LETTER I WITH STROKE (Ɨ).

    The position in the Unicode printed material is:
    U+0268 ɨ LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH STROKE does not appear in the table
    so therefore dos not case.
    U+026A ɪ LATIN SMALL LETTER CAPITAL I uppercases to U+0197 LATIN CAPITAL
    LETTER I WITH STROKE (Ɨ).

    The summary of ISO 6438 on Wikipedia at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_6438 also confirms that the Unicode
    printed text is correct and that the casefolding table is incorrect.

    Jim Allan