Re: Exemplifying apostrophes

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri May 23 2008 - 08:07:44 CDT

    Doug Ewell responded to Michael Everson,

    >> I'm not that old, either.
    >
    >I'm the same age as Michael, give or take a few weeks, and since I never
    >took a formal typing class, I have no idea where I learned to type two
    >spaces between sentences. But it's how I type, and I don't plan to give
    >it up any time soon.

    Hear, hear!

    I'm a few years older than you two.

    In California public school typing class, we were taught to
    insert two spaces after periods because they are *required*
    in proper typing.

    In all my experience with "corporate America" in the '70s and
    '80s (including "temp" jobs as a clerk-typist), I can state that
    employers expected their typed business correspondence to
    adhere to that requirement. Perhaps that requirement has
    changed in the interim, but I won't alter my practice.

    As a typist typing e-mails, I'm inclined to use typewriter
    punctuation -- it flows naturally and doesn't break the
    ingrained rhythm. But, when generating a web page, I do
    try to use proper characters.

    The Consortium undoubtedly appreciates the efforts of the
    volunteers who have worked to provide translations of the
    "What is Unicode?" page into various languages. There may
    be a reluctance to approach those volunteers with any requests
    for further editing.

    Issues concerning proper characters in web pages on the Unicode
    site have arisen before (as others have noted) and will probably
    arise again. Unless...

         Dear Volunteer,

         The Unicode Consortium fully appreciates and is grateful
         for your efforts in translating “What is Unicode?”
         into _____________.

         An alert web surfer has advised us that the _____________
         translation uses the character U+____ where the character
         U+____ is preferred.

         Would you be kind enough to review this matter and provide
         an updated translation, or would you prefer that we retain
         the sub-optimal version with your name on it?

         Respectfully,

         (T.U.C. rep. name)

    Best regards,

    James Kass