Re: Why there is a MODIFIER LETTER TURNED COMMA but no MODIFIER LETTER FULL STOP?

From: Leo Broukhis (leob@mailcom.com)
Date: Fri May 23 2008 - 18:02:47 CDT

    On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 3:08 AM, Karl Pentzlin <karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de> wrote:
    > The turned comma is used as a letter in Hawaiian
    > (denoting the glottal stop).
    > The punctution mark U+2018 LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
    > has the correct appearance and could be used, but there
    > is U+02BB MODIFIER LETTER TURNED COMMA (which of course
    > is better suited for use as a letter due to its properties).
    > The full stop is used as a letter in Tlingit (spoken in Akaska and
    > British Columbia), denoting the glottal stop (see e.g.
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tlingit_language or the attached
    > picture of a museum display in Juneau, Alaska).
    > Why there is no MODIFIER LETTER FULL STOP in analogy to the
    > MODIFIER LETTER TURNED COMMA?

    I'll venture a guess: LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK is "initial
    punctuation" that may trigger an undesirable attempt to find a
    corresponding "final punctuation" during automatic processing. The
    full stop does not have that problem, and if the phoneme it represents
    cannot be word-final, disambiguating the two meanings of U+002E is
    trivial.

    Leo