Re: Capital Sharp S in the News

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Tue Jul 01 2008 - 04:39:22 CDT

    unicode schrieb:
    > Do I understand correctly that the special casing table will continue to
    > contain the mapping from SHARP S (U+00DF) to "SS" as below:
    >
    > # The German es-zed is special--the normal mapping is to SS. # Note: the
    > titlecase should never occur in practice. It is equal to
    > titlecase(uppercase(<es-zed>))
    > 00DF; 00DF; 0053 0073; 0053 0053; # LATIN SMALL LETTER SHARP S
    >
    > when there is now an official uppercase version of SHARP-S?

    Yes.

    > I mean: great for stability, but when one runs upper(0xDF) what is the
    > correct outcome?

    According to the official German spelling rules: "ss",
    cf. <http://www.ids-mannheim.de/reform/regeln2006.pdf> §25 E3.
    This is not going to change any time soon, I reckon.

    As German is the only language that has kept the “ß” in its official
    orthography, Unicode defines only that special mapping for that letter.

    The new Capital Sharp S is meant for people who want to depart from
    the official orthographic rules, for one reason or other (mainly
    in the fields of name writing, company branding and title design).
    Probably they would wish that the software they use could adapt to their
    special needs, or desires. But the default behaviour of any software
    should comply with the official rules.

    The propsal of the German Standard Organisation,
    <http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3227.pdf>, explicitely
    has stated:
    > From our point of view it is important to make clear that the
    > proposition is not aimed at a reformation of the German orthography.
    > The officicial capitalisation of “ß” remains “SS”. Furthermore
    > it seems imperative to make clear that all existing data stock
    > that uses “SS” instead of “ß” in German names will remain valid.
    > We need the capital ß exclusively for the following special purposes:
    > – to retain the distinction between “SS” and “ß” in capital letters
    > in those cases where the owner of the name wants it (especially
    > in proper names);
    > – to represent text correctly where the capital ß has already been
    > used (historic text or title-, product- or company-names, logos etc.).

    Best wishes,
       Otto Stolz