Re: Looking for code ranges on specific languages.

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2008 - 03:03:54 CDT

    Hello,

    David Starner schrieb:
    > if you're including Chinese, you shouldn't need to worry about
    > individual Latin-using languages; just toss in MES-2
    > (<http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/mes-2-rationale.html>), which
    > will cover every major Latin/Greek/Cyrillic using language in the
    > world, at the cost of a measly 1000 characters.

    IIRC; MES 2 has not succeeded in becoming a standard, or otherwise
    being widely recognized. Does anybody know more details?

    Another, widely used, collection of pan-European characters is WGL4
    <http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/WGL4.htm>. Though not
    an international standard, either, it has been established as a
    quasi standard, as WGL4 capable fonts are included with every
    Windows system sold in Europe.

    Best wishes,
       Otto Stolz