Re: Mobile phones and Unicode support

From: vunzndi@vfemail.net
Date: Fri Sep 05 2008 - 05:26:43 CDT

    Quoting Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@in-nomine.org>:

    > -On [20080904 19:30], Ed Trager (ed.trager@gmail.com) wrote:
    >> Sounds to me like there should be some sort of umbrella FOSS-based IME
    >> project which would centralize the core set of common resources that
    >> all of these disparate IME projects ( maemocjk.garage.maemo.org ,
    >> www.scim-im.org/ , www.m17n.org , code.google.com/p/uim/ , yudit.org,
    >> etc... ) are using.
    >
    > I happily use UIM, because it allows itself to be hooked up to more
    > specialized IMEs.

    Essentially IME's consist of several parts - a table of input keys
    which maps a list of one or more character strings, for opensource
    projects these are potential excellent common resources - including
    the often underestimated resource of an input method understood by
    many. The is of course the font required displaying which can be very
    device dependent. The final part is the IME software itself that
    presents the candidates in some form for election it is this which
    main of the above projects differ, and in some respects the hardest to
    integrate let alone have common resources for.

    Speaking of different methods does anyone know about the copyright
    status of the wubi input method. What is copyrighted, and what is
    copyrightable. In particular if a IME uses a table containing keys the
    same as wubi but not called wubi would this be acceptable?

    >> Increasing diversification in the mobile devices market is already leading
    >> to the creation of projects like Android. It seems to me one could also
    >> create a FOSS project around IMEs that Android and other devices, including
    >> desktop computers, could all use.

    A good idea if you can get it to work.

    John Knightley

    > Mmm, maybe a first start would be a technical paper that points out all that
    > an IME ought to implement/expose in order to work towards a standard kind of
    > framework. Not sure how well that would work though.
    >
    >> I certainly know which CJK input methods I like best, but they are
    >> invariably not available on most computers and devices I have access
    >> to.
    >
    > Being able to have a romaja Korean IME on Unix (through uim/m17n) is very
    > nice and it's a drag to try and remember the keyboard layout on Windows for
    > Korean, for example.
    >
    > --
    > Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai(-at-)in-nomine.org> / asmodai
    > http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/ | GPG: 2EAC625B
    > To do injustice is more disgraceful than to suffer it...

    This message sent through Virus Free Email
    Only $14.95 for a 500Mb lifetime account!
    http://www.vfemail.net