RE: Pixel Rendering in Unicode characters

From: vunzndi@vfemail.net
Date: Fri Oct 03 2008 - 22:39:58 CDT

    Quoting "Debbie Garside" <debbie@ictmarketing.co.uk>:

    > Mark wrote:
    >
    > It sounds like what you're saying is that you want to
    >> be able, say, to instruct your program to stop in the middle
    >> of rendering an i, after drawing the body but before drawing
    >> the dot.
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    >> So you could, say, have seven different "i" glyphs, each with
    >> a different dot, and instructions to use *this* one when it's
    >> followed by a "j", but *that* one when it's in the word
    >> "minimum", and *the other* one when it appears by itself. Is
    >> that the kind of thing you're trying to get at?
    >

    > Yes. Thanks

    One way to do this "automatically" is by changing the font file, and
    introducing "ligatures". For this you need several things:-

        (1) A font you are allowed to change ( which means either a font
    you have made yourself from scratch, or a font which allows you to
    change it - ususally called an opensource font) for which you could go
    to say http://www.openfontlibrary.org

        (2) A font editor - one of which is fontforge, which is free,
    http://fontforge.sourceforge.net, and even if you decide not to use
    this at least gives links to other font editors on the home page.

         (3) time and patience to experiment and make things just rught

    Regards
    John