Re: Olympic Rings Symbol?

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Sun Oct 19 2008 - 11:35:45 CDT

    Leo Broukhis <leob at mailcom dot com> wrote:

    > While perusing
    > http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3514.pdf (Soccer Ball symbol
    > proposal) I've noticed that on Fig. 4c (page 3) there is an Olympic
    > rings symbol in the same context as the proposed - and accepted by the
    > UTC - soccer ball symbol, making it at least as suitable for encoding,
    > if not more, given its international recognition and appeal.

    The Nike "swoosh" and Coca-Cola logos might have even greater
    international recognition and appeal.

    > I find it surprising that it was never* discussed on this list, unless
    > it is assumed by everybody that an attempt to deal with the Olympic
    > symbolic without the initiative or pre-approval by the IOC will cause
    > more trouble than it's worth.

    Historically the Unicode Standard has had a policy against logos of this
    sort, Christian crosses and Stars of David notwithstanding. Commitment
    to the policy has become less clear in recent years (IMHO) with entities
    like a flag representing "Japanese self-defense forces" being accepted
    as part of the ARIB Japanese TV symbols proposal (which also includes
    several traffic signs, once a canonical example of what would *not* be
    encoded).

    However, it certainly seems likely that encoding the Olympic Rings
    symbol as a character without the involvement of the IOC would be a huge
    mistake.

    http://www.ewellic.org