Re: N3469 typo and questions

From: Leo Broukhis (leob@mailcom.com)
Date: Mon Oct 20 2008 - 20:57:47 CDT

    On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 5:52 PM, Kenneth Whistler <kenw@sybase.com> wrote:

    > See N3546 for the summary of the charts
    > as input to the FPDAM for Amendment 6.

    Thanks; N3546 was posted on dkuug.dk on Oct. 17 - after I started
    thinking about voicing my concerns. :)
    It does address most of them.

    >> E.g. why is 26D2 "CIRCLED CROSSING LINES = road closed" vs 26D4 "NO
    >> ENTRY" (rather than, say, "black circle with heavy white horizontal
    >> bar"?
    >> Why is 26EE "GEAR WITH HANDLES = power plant or power substation" vs
    >> 26ED "FACTORY" (rather than, say, "gear with long cogs") - and why is
    >> it disambiguated from 2699 "GEAR"? Isn't that just a presentation
    >> difference?
    >
    > There was a long discussion about that already, occasioned by
    > a German NB comment on names for this and similar symbols in
    > the ballot. 26ED's name was changed in the last ballot resolution.

    That's good. I guess that the "no entry" symbol is so ingrained that
    its name is now a glyph name?

    >> 26F6 "SQUARE FOUR CORNERS = intersection" vs 26DA "DRIVE SLOW"? Maybe
    >> 26DA "SQUARE FOUR CORNER DOTS = drive slow"?
    >> 26F0 "MOUNTAIN"? Shouldn't it be "LARGE BLACK UP-POINTING TRIANGLE =
    >> mountain" -> 25B2?
    >>
    >> And, finally, 26FB"JAPANESE BANK SYMBOL"?! What happened to avoiding
    >> references to nations in character names (cf. U+262B)?
    >> Let it be "vertical bobbin with rounded ends" or something.
    >
    > Because that one actually *is* a Japanese bank symbol -- not
    > a symbol for Japanese banks, but a symbol for banks, used in
    > Japan.

    Why not 26EF "JAPANESE MAP SYMBOL FOR LIGHTHOUSE" then (as opposed to
    the more familiar symbol, e.g. here:
    http://www.spirasolaris.ca/cairnsyakutat2c7.gif ) Or should the "tower
    with rays" be a glyph variation?

    How about 26E3 "JAPANESE PUBLIC OFFICE SYMBOL", or 26E4 "JAPANESE
    PREFECTURAL OFFICE SYMBOL"? And is 26DA "DRIVE SLOW SIGN"
    international enough not to require a country specifier?

    The glyph for 26FB is simple enough (e.g. compared to 26E3 or 26FF) to
    be described generically
    (maybe better "white circle with left and right crescent notches").

    Leo