Re: Proposal to change the script allocation rules for the BMP and SMP

From: Karl Pentzlin (karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2008 - 14:15:04 CST

    Am Mittwoch, 29. Oktober 2008 um 20:42 schrieb Kenneth Whistler:

    KW> And if anything, "closing the BMP" and reserving it for
    KW> additional allocations of truly obscure and mostly useless
    KW> Latin additions might at this point have an ironically contrary
    KW> impact of further entrenching mistaken perceptions that the
    KW> BMP is a realm of European privilege, with the gates closed
    KW> against any further intrusions by lesser-known scripts.

    The last argument, except calling Latin additions to serve user groups
    at least comparable in size to the Samaritan or Mandaic speaking community
    "obscure and useless", in fact convinces me.

    However, I am a little bit concerned about the fact that the Szekler-
    Hungarian Rovas proposal scatters over 4 separate BMP blocks, two of
    them being one-column blocks. If these characters are to be encoded in
    the BMP, I strongly prefer to have them in one block at AB00...ABAF,
    rather than having reserved this area for some scripts which have only
    preliminary proposals in different stages (as such scripts anyway are
    often exchanged when looking at the history of the roadmap). This even
    leaves space to move the reserved Meetei Mayek Extension block to
    ABB0...ABCF, having the Meetei Mayek characters documented together in
    the next printed endition of the Unicode standard (if they will be
    included in time).

    If all proposals are treated equal (i.e. if no proposal has an
    approved urgency to get into the BMP), then at least "first come, first
    served."

    - Karl Pentzlin