Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Dec 26 2008 - 21:43:54 CST

On 12/25/2008 5:14 PM, Curtis Clark wrote:
> On 2008-12-25 16:30, Asmus Freytag wrote:
>> All modern-use and recently created symbols face the suspicion of
>> impermanence.
>
> And if they went away, then they'd be historical, which would mean
> that scholars would have to reconstruct...oh, wait a minute! We
> already encoded them when they were contemporary!
>
> I'm not sure there's anything wrong with the slogan, "Encoding
> tomorrow's historical scripts...today."

Nice slogan, Curtis.

A whole lot could be written about Unicode as archival medium -
especially going forward, when source documents are digital from the
start and not baked in clay. Perhaps, in the future, only those symbols
of any period that end up encoded in Unicode will be accessible to later
periods....

A./