Re: Zhuang Han (was: Re: Emoji survey)

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Dec 28 2008 - 19:06:50 CST

Doug Ewell wrote,

><vunzndi at vfemail dot net> wrote:
>
>> The [Zhuang Han] proposal first has to go though a national approval
>> process, this involves a number of department and takes several years.
>> Submission is then to the IRG, approval here may well take 7 years,
>> then 3 or more years to go get through WG2 and SG2.
>
>This took me by surprise too. Is it typical for the IRG to spend 7
>years to process a proposal that is being actively pursued?
>
>I'm aware that some proposals have taken 10 or more years, such as Old
>Hungarian and Egyptian hieroglyphics, but usually these are proposals
>that have sat around for a significant percentage of that time, waiting
>for additional information, interest, or funding. No proposal that is
>well defined and actively supported should take 10 years.

Han ideograph proposals are often quite large sets being
combined from submissions from various sources. CJK
unification rules are complex.

With CJK Ext. C, some duplication was unearthed at
practically the "last minute". (Indeed, there was at
least one premature font already circulating.)

Proceeding with extreme caution may be seen as a good
way to avoid such potential embarrassment in the future.

Best regards,

James Kass