Re: Emoji survey

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2008 - 21:00:07 CST

<vunzndi at vfemail dot net> wrote:

>> I too suspect that. I further suspect that if emoji are encoded
>> outside the BMP (as they must be because of space constraints).
>> vendors will doubly reject using the new Unicode characters because
>> of perceived difficulties in processing supra-BMP characters...
>
> Though I suppose an optimist might think that the result could be
> support for all unicode planes by the vendors.

One reason I haven't fully bought in to the "UTF-16 everywhere"
philosophy (see UTN #12) is that UTF-16 is the only mainstream UTF that
requires special handling for, and only for, the code points beyond
U+FFFF. It just seems too much of a temptation to take the UCS-2
shortcut and ignore them altogether, especially with the reassurance
that "supplementary code points are very rare."

http://www.ewellic.org