Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2009 - 17:36:29 CST

    > Asmus, you don't treat the whole set in the current proposal either,
    > having the corporate logos... so this also violates #10?

    I realize that rationalists have difficulties with pragmatics.
    But yeah. So?

    Character encoding involves decisions that weigh many principles,
    precedents, and practices. The Unicode Standard doesn't encode
    trademarked logos, *even* if they occur in vendor character
    encodings that people need to interoperate with. And the
    precedent for that practice dates back to 1989, when the first
    drafts of Unicode were cross-mapped with the MacRoman character
    set.

    So conversion of the Japanese telco SJIS gaiji for their
    logo characters will involve fallbacks that might not roundtrip
    exactly -- which is really no different than the situation for
    the (non)-interoperability for such logo characters between
    the three sets now anyway.

    --Ken