Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Mark Davis (mark.edward.davis@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2009 - 20:10:59 CST

    There are real differences between TOKYO TOWER symbol and OLD JAMESON
    DISTILLERY, similar to differences among characters already in Unicode.

       - U+0041 ( A ) LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A, a character that we'd encode in
       any event.
       - U+FF21 ( A ) FULLWIDTH LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A, encoded for
       compatibility with widespread use on computer systems. It would not
       otherwise be encoded.
       - LATIN LIGATURE FLOOB, no ordinary reason to encode, and wouldn't be
       encoded for compatibility because there is no widespread use of it to be
       compatible to.

    Just because we have U+2654 ( ♔ ) WHITE CHESS KING doesn't mean that we have
    to encode CLUE COLONEL MUSTARD or MONOPOLY WHEELBARROW or STRATEGO SPY or
    RISK BLUE ARMY. We don't need OLD JAMESON DISTILLERY for compatibility, so
    there is no reason to encode it.

    Mark

    On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 17:29, Michael Everson <everson@evertype.com> wrote:
    > On 10 Jan 2009, at 00:58, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
    >
    >> Michael Everson wrote:
    >>
    >>> The national flags, and the STATUE OF LIBERTY and TOKYO TOWER seem
    >>> very much out of scope, unless the door is being opened to STONEHENGE
    >>> and NEWGRANGE and all the other flags.
    >>
    >> They are in the emoji set, and in those particular cases
    >> (except the STATUE OF LIBERTY) occur in more than one of the
    >> vendor sets and are cross-mapped to each other. Hardly a case of
    >> being "out of scope".
    >
    > They may be in scope of emoji implementations but that does not meant they
    > satisfy other requirements for encoding.
    >
    >> As for the particulars, I guess nobody has been paying attention
    >> to what I've said about the ten FLAG SYMBOL XX characters
    >> (e-4E5..e-4EE). They are not symbols of countries, nor are
    >> they symbols of flags. They are flag icons being used in
    >> these sets as symbols for 10 common language localizations.
    >> That is why I recommend that:
    >>
    >> a. the glyphs be changed to make that clear
    >> b. the names be changed to EMOJI SYMBOL FOR RUSSIAN LOCALISATION
    >> or something similar
    >
    > Splendid! Now you've opened the floodgates to localization into 5,000
    > languages.
    > I assure you Irish and N'Ko will be early requesters.
    >
    > Because, you see, despite the fact that the Russian flag may come from an
    > emoji implementation, its encoding in the UCS makes it available FOR ANY
    USE