Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2009 - 23:49:03 CST

    Michael D'Errico <mike dash list at pobox dot com> wrote:

    > The thing I like is that it only requires 26 code point assignments,
    > yet has the ability to represent the equivalent XML: <flag>CA</flag>
    > in plain text. The code points themselves carry with them the
    > "flag-ness", so this information is available even to a plain-text
    > process. If two code points were not enough to specify every country
    > or area, as was suggested for CYM, then three or more code points
    > could be used to accommodate them (with no additional assignments).

    It looks too much like the UTF-16 surrogate model, complete with invalid
    sequences, which is an acceptable model for a multi-code-unit character
    encoding but quite cumbersome for defining individual characters.
    What's more, allowing sequences of "three of more code points" would
    catapult this model well beyond UTF-16 in terms of complexity.

    http://www.ewellic.org