RE: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Ruszlan Gaszanov (ruszlan@ather.net)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2009 - 03:32:49 CST

    verdy_p wrote:

    >However such rendering will be difficult at small font sizes where only >white/black and a single grey pattern would be distinctable (this will be a >severe problems for allowing the distinctions between the common tricolor >flags if they are rendered with a single ink).

    Furthermore, monochrome rendering of flags could cause outright identity substitution in some cases. Consider for instance monochrome glyphs of Dutch, Luxembourg, Hungarian or some other color-white-color style horizontal tricolor flag printed in red ink. What do we get? Austrian flag.

    Unless we are willing to accept polychromatic aspect as fundamental part of plain text character identity, I really think flags should be explicitly banned from Unicode. And even if we are willing to accept such a thing, I *still* believe flags should be explicitly banned from Unicode because of political repercussions. This is a much bigger can of worms then corporate logos.

    Ruszlán