Re: Proposed (MC) Marque de Commerce and/or (MD) Marque Depose?

From: Karl Pentzlin (karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de)
Date: Sat Jan 17 2009 - 07:15:04 CST

    Am Donnerstag, 8. Januar 2009 um 18:27 schrieb ALEX BLAISE:

    AB> Has there is there currently a proposal submitted to implement (MC) Marque
    AB> de Commerce and/or (MD) Marque Depose superscript characters? (MC) is the
    AB> French equivalent for  and (MD) is the equivalent for ®. I have not found
    AB> any character combinations in the Pipeline Table or Code Charts.

    A quick search at Google reveals that the mentioned (MC) and (MD) in fact are
    written by raised letters without parens, thus resembling the English ™.

    If this is correct, these combinations have a distinctive semantic value and
    must be enabled to be written in plain text.

    Thus, I disagree with Kenneth Whistler's conclusion that there is no
    need for a new encoding, as raising the letters by a higher level
    protocol is not applicable in all circumstances.

    While it is possible two new symbols like the existing ™, this in fact
    does not seem to be the most desirable way, as then possibly a lot of such
    combinations which are used in other countries also have to be encoded.

    Thus, it seems to be appropriate to use modifier letters (i.e. raised
    letters encoded in Unicode mainly as phonetic letters ore as constituents
    of special orthographies.)

    The following letters already are encoded:
    U+1D30 MODIFIER LETTER CAPITAL D
    U+1D39 MODIFIER LETTER CAPITAL M

    Thus, missing for your purpose is a MODIFIER LETTER CAPITAL C.

    If you submit a formal proposal for this letter (which you can do
    individually, but which has more chances to succeed if an official
    French organization will submit it), the Unicode Committee and the
    appropriate ISO committee (SC2/WG2) will decide about it.

    - Karl Pentzlin