Re: Emoji: Public Review December 2008: e-1DE CHINESE ZODIAC DRAGON

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 03:43:54 CST

    On 11 Mar 2009, at 03:26, Peter Constable wrote:

    >> Every character in the standard can be used by everyone, regardless
    >> of
    >> the origin of the characters.
    >
    > Michael, that last statement is of course true
    >
    > At the same time, users cannot redefine characters to suit their own
    > purposes, and part of the definition of characters is their behavior
    > in implementations. For instance, it would be very unwise of me to
    > decide that I could use U+0628 ب as a non-joining character.

    For pity's sake, Peter, could you not manage an analogy that actually
    fits?

    Saying that RABBIT and RAT and DOG are symbols which **can be
    legitimately used** to represent Rabbit and Rat and Dog in Chinese
    astrology is IN NO WAY similar to redefining the character properties
    of an Arabic letter.

    > I could do that if I want, but most likely I will be very
    > disappointed to find out that behavior in most software
    > implementations does not follow my assumptions. The same will be
    > true of these characters: the way that they are handled in software
    > implementations is most definitely going to be impacted by the
    > requirements of the scenarios in which they originated -- Japanese
    > telecoms -- and users should not be led to expect anything different.

    I would imagine that they would be "handled" by the software in being
    transmitted from one place to another as symbols with symbol
    properties. I would imagine that the phone companies would use fonts
    appropriate to their audience. And I would imagine that font vendors,
    large and small, will supply glyphs as they see fit.