RE: writing direction

From: Tex Texin (textexin@xencraft.com)
Date: Wed Mar 25 2009 - 14:38:32 CST

    There is a great book "Are your lights on?" which discusses problem
    solving and a key example they give is the problem of traffic through
    tunnels.

    After telling people they must turn their lights on when entering the
    tunnel, they would like to remind people to turn their lights off on
    exit.
    Of course, if it is night time, they should leave their lights on, and
    also if it is raining, etc.

    Creating a sign that lists all the conditions for turning lights on or
    off is too challenging. The final solution is to simply have a sign
    asking "Are your lights on?" and trusting the driver will then do the
    right thing.

    Showing a hill is probably sufficient to remind people to test their
    brakes regardless of it going up or down, so the hill example is not
    problematic.
    However, I can guess there are some problem cases.

    In the U.S. I sometimes find the placement of do not enter or one way
    signs on medians confusing. They are marking one side of the median as
    exit only, but it is ambiguous since the sign is seen equally from
    both entrance and exit. (There are no arrows or other direction.) You
    have to know both the road rules and local culture to interpret
    properly. (And even then it is ambiguous.)