Re: ASCII as a subset of Unicode (was: Re: Oxford proposes a leaner alphabet)

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Sat Apr 11 2009 - 15:52:57 CDT

    Jonathan Rosenne <jr at qsm dot co dot il> wrote:

    >> Actually, I was under the impression that ASCII was defined in terms
    >> of 7-bit code units, whereas there are virtually no computers or
    >> users today who think in terms of 7-bit code units.
    >
    > There weren't such computers then, it was a communication code and 7
    > bits were used for communication.

    There never were computers with a 7-bit architecture, but there
    certainly were computers that could use ASCII as an storage and
    processing code as well as a communications code.

    The history of ASCII is well documented and I don't want to run the risk
    of misstating or misquoting something, but I continue to believe the
    difference between "ASCII characters" and "Unicode characters" is
    analogous to the difference between "flutes" and "musical instruments."

    http://www.ewellic.org