Re: Handling of Surrogates

From: William J Poser (wjposer@ldc.upenn.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 19 2009 - 19:03:41 CDT

    RFC5137 mentions that:
    "HTML uses a similar form, but the semicolon may be omitted in some cases"

    I have encountered numeric character references lacking the terminating
    semicolon only in the output of some (older?) Microsoft products. I have
    always taken them to be errors. The HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0 standards
    do not permit omission of the terminating semi-colon. Are there in
    fact circumstances in which the semi-colon is permitted to be omitted,
    or does this sentence in RFC5137 mean that one may encounter such ill-formed
    numeric character references, not that they are in certain circumstances
    standard-conforming?

    Bill