Re: Berber and Maghribi letters

From: Titus Nemeth (sehstoerung@sonance.net)
Date: Tue May 05 2009 - 02:57:47 CDT

    Arno Schmitt wrote:
    > Titus Nemeth schrieb:
    >> BTW, the Alif with a horizontal bar in the preceding word doesn't
    >> seem to have a Unicode representation either - does anybody know
    >> about this letter?
    >
    > It is a special kind of damma used in the Maghreb and in any mushaf of
    > the qiraat according to NafiC.

    Thank you for this information! Am I understanding correctly that this
    use is common in any kind of manuscript from the Maghrib? The examples
    under consideration are poetry in Berber language, quite something else
    than a mushaf.

    > There is a corresponding wasla point with damma and a hamza with damma
    > -- both sitting in the middle of alif while point/hamza with fatha
    > sits above, point/hamza with kasra below the alif.

    You are suggesting to use a codepoint that usually has a different
    grapheme, right? But which codepoints are you referring to?

    Thanks
    Titus