Re: Matching opening and closing characters: How?

From: Robert Abel (freakrob@googlemail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 07 2009 - 20:45:43 CDT

    > For example, in German, the initial quote is a low left one and the
    > final a right high one, while in English, it's a high left and a high
    > right quote. So high right would pair up with both low left and high
    > left - which would be fully sufficient.
    > Maybe it's enough to have a fully relaxed rule: any quote character will
    > do instead of ".

    But that is essentially not "right". You can have „…“ or ‚…‘ or »…« or
    ›…‹ for the most part. These are all known German types of using
    quotation marks. However, sometimes also the "English" variants are
    used, being “…” and ‘…’. Also notice that i.e. in French, where »…«
    originated, usage is reversed, like «…».
    Also, what about the Japanese counterparts for instance? Those would be
    「…」 and 『…』 -- these even have vertical variants:

    ︰ ︰ ︰ ︰ ︰
    ﹄ ﹂ ﹈ ︸ ⏡

    It basically goes on and on... I think it's best to heed Kenneth'
    advice: less is more in this case.

    Regards,

    Robert Abel