Re: [unicode] Italic type in right-to-left scripts

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@htpassport.com)
Date: Thu Aug 13 2009 - 14:10:52 CDT

    On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 01:54 +0900, mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp wrote:
    > I guess the writing direction is not so important factor to
    > determine the slanting angle of cursive script, but the hand
    > (left or right) to write the script could be important.
    > The traditional cursive CJK script in vertical writing mode
    > also tends to make a horizontal line slanted from left-lower
    > to right-upper.

    It is, at least to Persian (written in the Arabic script). For emphasis,
    we slant text both to the right and to the left, but slanting to the
    left looks much better and is what a good typographer would usually do.

    The originator/creator of left-slanted type for Persian was
    Gholamhossein Mosaheb (1910-1979). He named it "Iranic", to emphasize
    the direction of the slant. Typographers in Iran use the term commonly,
    call these two types "Italic" (slant to right) and "Iranic" (slant to
    left). Still, only a handful of Persian fonts available in the Iranian
    market have *true* Iranic (some are only true Iranic, with no upright
    counterpart). Mostly, they are like oblique/slanted, just slanted to the
    left.

    Roozbeh