RE: Greek characters in IPA usage

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Aug 14 2009 - 10:09:36 CDT

    I'd venture a guess that most linguists aren't too concerned about the exact shape of the beta and theta for daily work, but are concerned only when publishing. (And, in many cases, it won't be the linguist themself but rather the journal editor who cares.)

    When typesetting for print publication, one selects fonts to suit the specific requirements of the publication. Perhaps Greek-speaking linguists have problems. I don't know how many linguistic papers are written and published in Greek. I also don't know what Greek IPAists expect in their publications: Do they really want the minor inconsistencies that arise from the differences for beta and theta, or do they expect typographic consistency?

    Publishing on the Web may be more challenging given the current widely-utilized model for Web typography in which only a small number of fonts are commonly used. But a lot of those fonts don't fully support IPA, so perhaps they are not commonly used for publishing linguistics papers. (I'll bet a lot of PDF is used rather than HTML.)

    I would think that, at some point, the CSS working group within W3C will want to embrace OpenType. And in OpenType there are a few different ways these glyph variants could be accommodated. But until then, Unicode variation sequences are a possible alternative - if there truly is a need.

    Peter