Re: Ligatures and Decompositions

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Sat Aug 15 2009 - 08:33:49 CDT

    Michael Everson wrote:

    > On 14 Aug 2009, at 17:08, Andrew Miller wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any reason why U+A732 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER AA and other
    >> characters in the Latin Extended-D block don't have decompositions
    >> like e.g. "<compat> 0041 0041"?
    >
    > They're not decomposable nor meant to be.

    I don't think that addresses the question - it more or less just states that
    they don't have decompositions, without answering the "why" question at all.

    I'm afraid there's generally no simple way to find answers to questions like
    this. The standard itself does not usually present rationales on such
    matters. When characters are added to Unicode, the reasons for the inclusion
    and for the settings of the properties are not presented, as a rule.

    On the other hand, the particular question is probably only relevant to some
    medievalists. Probably some use of a symbol consisting of two A's (partly
    overlapping) has been described so that it has been accepted with an
    identity of its own.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/