What justification for separately encoding two forms of lowercase sigma

From: Shriramana Sharma (samjnaa@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 23 2009 - 03:34:23 CDT

    Correct me if I am wrong, but the single Greek letter sigma is said to
    have two different forms, one in word-final and other in other places.
    These are encoded in Unicode as 03C2 and 03C1 respectively.

    Now are these two symbols not just two different ways of writing the
    same character? If yes, how can they be separately encoded? Is it only
    to keep compatibility with some earlier standard? Or can these two
    actually be considered as two different characters?

    --
    Shriramana Sharma