Re: Visarga, ardhavisarga and anusvara -- combining marks or not?

From: Shriramana Sharma (samjnaa@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 25 2009 - 22:03:34 CDT

    On 2009-Aug-26 00:22, Asmus Freytag wrote:
    > the same reason, UTC is correct to continue to be
    > consistent with past practice in assigning Mc to any new
    > characters that are analogues to existing Mc characters.

    This is not entirely true. Tamil Sign Visarga is Lo, unlike the
    Visarga-s of other Indic scripts. OTOH it can be argued that the
    function of the Tamil Sign Visarga is not entirely visarga-like.

    I hope this practice of UTC doesn't mean that the visarga or
    ardhavisarga proposed for any new Indic script would have to be perforce
    Mc and Lo would not be allowed.

    --
    Shriramana Sharma