Re: Hypersurrogates

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Aug 28 2009 - 13:05:46 CDT

    William Overington asked:

    > I write to ask please as to whether anyone can please state
    > what is the present situation in relation to Unicode and in
    > relation to ISO as to whether there are or are not any
    > permanent rulings as to which codes beyond U+10FFFF could or
    > could not be used in a future version of the Unicode Standard?

    There are such permanent rulings. Codes beyond U+10FFFF will
    not be used in future versions of the Unicode Standard.

    And no one on the relevant committees (UTC and SC2/WG2) has
    any interest in pursuing a hypersurrogate scheme. All such
    a scheme would accomplish is to break interoperability between
    UTF-16, UTF-8, and UTF-32 forms of the encoding.

    --Ken