Re: Encoding of Logos, Personal Gaiji et cetera for electronic library archiving (formerly Re: Hypersurrogates)

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Sat Aug 29 2009 - 22:52:18 CDT

    ¦b Aug 29, 2009 6:36 AM ®É¡A William_J_G Overington ¼g¨ì¡G

    > Certainly if I am the only person who chooses to post in this thread
    > in favour of encoding of logos, personal gaiji et cetera for
    > electronic library archiving in essentially plain text format then
    > it is unlikely that any progress will be made with my suggestion.
    > However, if there is some interest then maybe the Unicode Consortium
    > will institute a Public Review of the matter and consider the
    > November 2009.

    So far as personal gaiji are concerned, this is a solution in search
    of a problem, because there is a technically much superior approach to
    the gaiji problem available via registered Ideographic Variation
    Sequences.

    So far as logos are concerned, legal issues are likely to keep all but
    a very few out of the standard. I do know that Apple doesn't want its
    logo encoded, which is why we've never asked for it, and if anybody
    else asked for it, we would object. We're completely content to leave
    it in the PUA.

    So far as public reviews are concerned, that's really not the way to
    do exploration of a possible architectural change. You'd really have
    to come up with a specific encoding proposal or at least document to
    death a serious need to encode either entity.

    =====
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com