[indic] Re: Use of ZWJ to form Sinhala Conjuncts

From: Harshula (harshula@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 03 2009 - 07:46:42 CDT

    Hi Roozbeh,

    Looks like you removed me from the TO/CC list, please keep me CC'd on
    your replies.

    On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 12:22 -0700, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
    > On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 01:21 +1000, Harshula wrote:
    > > There are 3 compliance levels for Sinhala fonts. Please refer to:
    > > SLS 1134, Part 2 - Requirements and Methods of Test
    > > (http://www.icta.lk/attachments/658_SLS%201134-Part2.pdf)
    > >
    > > The first is the most basic set of requirements for a font to be
    > > considered compliant. Operating systems should, at a minimum, check that
    > > a Sinhala font meets these requirements before using it.
    >
    > For the record, the last sentence (on operating systems requirement to
    > check fonts before using them) appears to be the personal opinion of the
    > commentator.

    How do you suggest an operating system determine if a font is a valid
    Sinhala font? Level 1 compliance, as specified in SLS1134:Part2,
    prescribes the minimum set of requirements for a SLS1134 compliant
    Sinhala font. I would think it is only logical to comply with it.

    > The text of the SLS 1134 standards does not appear to
    > require or suggest such a thing.

    So, if SLS1134:Part2 stated something like 'Operating systems shall only
    recognise Level 1 compliant fonts as Sinhala fonts.', would that be
    sufficiently explicit in your mind?

    cya,
    #