Re: Medievalist ligature character in the PUA

From: verdy_p (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sat Dec 05 2009 - 09:00:30 CST

    It's true that the Adobe FLEX text engine is probably the most consistent model for fine typography. It should
    really inspire the developers of CSS3, and web browsers, so that they fix their text renderers, and adopt most of
    the custom CSS styling rules in FLEX documentation, that are remarquably rich.

    Why doesn't Adobe propose its own web browser based on its text engine? It's strange given that it already has all
    the logic needed (for Javascript, CSS, XML and DOM parsers, and most of XHTML, exclusing some backward-compatibility
    legacies inherited from HTML and IE's "Quirk mode").

    At least it would be immediately useful for new adopters or Windows 7 (in Europe where IE8 is not included), and it
    would help improve the existing benchmarks and compatibility tests (like ACID). And it would really accelerate the
    conversion of word processing documents to web standards (for OpenOffice and even for MS Office), with better
    interoperability (in in fine, the Flash proprietary extesions could be supported and ported to the refined web
    standards as well), and it would help ending the war between document formats.

    And with better support within text engines, it would also simplify the reusability of fonts hose design could
    become simpler with less software-specific features (we also need a better standard for fonts, but this highly
    depend on renderer capabilities).