Re: Medievalist ligature character in the PUA

From: John (Eljay) Love-Jensen (eljay@adobe.com)
Date: Mon Dec 14 2009 - 12:46:44 CST

    Hi Leo,

    >> And should an OS treat "My file" and "My file" as the same file name?
    >
    > This problem is with us already (on Apple systems, of all things).
    > MacOS X decomposes Cyrillic Й and Ё in file names and treats файл and
    > файл as the same file name; Windows and Linux don't.

    OS X requires filenames be normalized, which is close to be slightly
    different from NFD. And for backwards compatibility, is rather stuck doing
    what it does. (Apple's "HFS+NFD" variant predates NFD.)

    This OS X requirement is enforced by the OS.

    Windows requires that filenames be normalized as NFC. This can cause all
    sorts of havoc.

    This Windows requirement is not enforced by the OS.

    The Linux systems I've used just store bytes, and (other than '/' and
    null-terminator '\0') there is no requirement that the bytes for the
    component names be UTF-8.

    But since my Linux experience is a bit dated now, and maybe Linux's file
    system(s) are more UTF-8 or UTF-16 or UTF-32 savvy these days, as a
    requirement.

    If Linux has embraced Unicode, I would be surprised that they have not also
    established NFD or NFC as the required normalization.

    Sincerely,
    --Eljay