Re: Medievalist ligature character in the PUA

From: verdy_p (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Dec 15 2009 - 06:08:36 CST

    "Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven" wrote:
    > [As an aside, your email formatting is seriously messed up. Can you please
    > stop hitting enter at some arbitrary point in your sentences and just type
    > on and let word-wrap solve it all?]

    I DON'T hit Enter at arbitrary points. I just press Enter only at end of paragraphs, independantly of their actual
    length (and the mail agents will break the paragraphs themselves, using their own line length limitation for word-
    wraps).

    Because I'm just posting here plain-text, and not rich text with HTML, it's up to user agents to recognize the
    paragraphs and reformat the paragraphs where necessary, and to present you the text (many email agents are offering
    this as a convenient toggle button).

    (And in plain text emails, there's absolutely no way to know hich line length your email agent will use, notably if
    you insert "> " in front of quoted lines. Generally it is admitted that 72 ASCII characters should allow at least
    one quotation in front of lines, without exceeding a 80-characters limit, but most modern email agents and servers
    have dropped this old limitation which only applies now to MIME email headers and not to the mail body).

    For this to work reliably, I include an empty line between paragraphs, so mail agents should not have any difficulty
    to recognize and reformat the paragraphs. And I don't use another mark than the conventional "> " for quoted lines.

    I can only suggest you to use a mail agent that will correctly handle the variable line-length in plain text emails
    (there does exist such extensions/plugins for various mail agents if they don't implement it themselves).

    Sorry, but your side note (and this reply) is out of scope of this list.

    Philippe.