Re: Latin-script keyboard layout (was RE: Quick Question About Korean Input Methods)

From: Karl Pentzlin (karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de)
Date: Sun Jan 03 2010 - 16:55:46 CST

    Am Sonntag, 3. Januar 2010 um 22:50 schrieb Michael S. Kaplan:

    MSK> From: "Karl Pentzlin" <karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de>
    >> Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator (V1.4) is definitely an outdated tool.

    MSK> I'd love to better understand this assertion....

    For instance (please correct me if I have overlooked something):
    1. I cannot assign a SMP character as "composite" to a dead key combination.
    2. I cannot handle diacritics as dead key when the destination character
        is not available as a precomposed character.
    3. I cannot handle multiple diacritics as dead keys (considering applying
        a single diacritic to a precomposed character a "bad trick").
    4. I cannot work on a Japanese-like 106-key layout.
    5. I cannot define an ISO/IEC 9995 conformant Group Selection.
    6. I cannot import tables (e.g. text files or Excel sheets;
        except hacking the Source File format).

    2./3. simply require sequences of combined characters entered as dead
    keys simply being reordered after the next character suitable as base
    character, and then being reordered according to NFC or NFD when used
    in a Unicode environment. (In fact, some special cases like use of
    Backspace after a dead key may require additional rules.)

    Please refer to the following documents to see what kind of keyboard
    layouts are expected to be dealt with an up-to-date version of MKSLC:
    1. http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC35/WG1/docs/info1-9995-3.pdf
        (description of the revision of ISO/IEC 9995-3, currently in FDIS)
    2. http://portailgroupe.afnor.fr/public_espacenormalisation/ISOCEIJTC1SC35/jtc1sc35n1381.pdf
        (NP proposal on ISO/IEC 9995-9: Multilingual, Multiscript Keyboard Group Layouts)
    3. http://www.csc.fi/english/pages/meek/cwa-draft-091005 - Appendices 1 and 3
        (the final version of this paper, with some editorial changes, is submitted to CEN
         for publication);
        for more details about Appendix 3 see the "Five Scripts Keyboard":
        http://www.world-keyboard.com/

    (Note regarding dead keys: People using a dead-key-free keyboard may
     consider it appropriate to have diacritics entered in the Unicode
     order, i.e. after the base character. Unfortunately, virtually all
     keyboards for languages using the Latin script implement diacritics as
     dead keys, as a heritage of the mechanical typewriters. Therefore,
     ISO/IEC 9995-3 is bound to dead keys, while newer concepts like the
     ISO/IEC 9995-9 draft employ both ways, leaving the choice to the
     users.)

    - Karl