RE: Shimaore and Kibushi alphabets

From: John (Eljay) Love-Jensen (eljay@adobe.com)
Date: Mon Jan 18 2010 - 12:33:44 CST

    Hi Alain,

    On my computer, the Unicode combining characters work for me, for the Shimaore and Kibushi alphabets:

    LATIN SMALL LETTER N WITH DIAERESIS
    Unicode: U+006E U+0308
    UTF-8: 6E CC 88

    LATIN CAPITAL LETTER N WITH DIAERESIS
    Unicode: U+004E U+0308
    UTF-8: 4E CC 88

    LATIN SMALL LETTER V WITH MACRON
    Unicode: U+0076 U+0304
    UTF-8: 76 CC 84

    LATIN CAPITAL LETTER V WITH MACRON
    Unicode: U+0056 U+0304
    UTF-8: 56 CC 84

    Is there any reason that the combining characters are insufficient?

    I believe that one suitable case for insufficiency can be made on the widespread prevalence of pre-existing computer encoding as a single code point, and a necessity for 1:1 mapping rather than 1:2 mapping (employing the combining diacritical marks) above.

    Sincerely,
    --Eljay