Re: [unicode] kJapaneseOn and kJapaneseKun Use What Romanization Standard?

From: mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Date: Sun Jan 24 2010 - 13:01:00 CST

    Hi,

    It seems that different styles are mixed. I'm not sure
    Hepburn style is dominant or Kunrei style is dominant.

    * Kunrei style
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunrei-shiki_R%C5%8Dmaji
    * Hepburn style
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepburn_romanization

    For example, when you compare popular difference
    "SY" (Kunrei) vs "SH" (Hepburn), "SH" is dominant
    in Unihan.txt. On the other hand, when you compare
    "HU" (Kunrei) vs "FU" (Hepburn), the difference is
    not clear. I'm not sure if there is any rule.

    I think, the original data of kJapanese{On,Kun} is
    non-modernized style (for modernized style, see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_kana_usage
    ) that have many different pronunciations between
    context level and character level. Giving kJapanese{On,Kun}
    data to some speech synthesizer, the result would be
    different of the pronunciation that the author of
    the original data expected.

    Regards,
    mpsuzuki