ß vs. ſs

From: David Starner (prosfilaes@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2010 - 09:15:51 CST

    I've been telling people that the ſs ligature in early English texts
    is not ß and shouldn't be recorded that way. I assume that's good
    advice in the normal case, that even when you're preserving the
    long-s, the ſs ligature should be recorded as ſs? If you're using ſt
    and st, would that still be good advice? In practice, a ſs ligature
    will exist only in the rarest of fonts, and most modern font styles
    arguably shouldn't ligate it.

    --
    Kie ekzistas vivo, ekzistas espero.