Re: Greek letter "LAMDA"?

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2010 - 19:12:32 CDT

    On 6/2/2010 3:28 PM, John Dlugosz wrote:

    > If anyone can “null and void” it, I wonder why companies bother to put
    > such things in people’s outgoing mail. I would have thought they could
    > come up with a proper net-etiquite version, but they just don’t care.

    These things are bogus, because they get appended automatically to all
    messages leaving certain mailers, independent of the nature of the
    message. I wouldn't be surprised if they are hard to enforce, but I'm
    not a lawyer.

    The Unicode list can certainly set its own conditions for participation,
    and because you have to sign up, I'd rate the chance that Unicode can
    enforce its rules on participants rather high.

    Therefore, anyone sending messages with funny legal mumbo-jumbo is put
    on notice beforehand that it will not be respected. If they go ahead and
    send it anyway, that's their choice, but they'd have a tough time
    arguing that they could have a reasonable expectation that it would be
    honored. So, I think, in the case of a mail list like this, you can
    actually get away with declaring these things null & void.

    Cheers,

    A./

    PS: we should stop with this topic, because that's not what this list is
    for.