RE: Hexadecimal digits

From: Shawn Steele (Shawn.Steele@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2010 - 16:49:42 CDT

    Shouldn't this be an FAQ?

    -----Original Message-----
    From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On Behalf Of Michael Everson
    Sent: Poʻalima, Iune 04, 2010 12:01 PM
    To: unicode Unicode Discussion
    Subject: Re: Hexadecimal digits

    On 4 Jun 2010, at 20:39, Luke-Jr wrote:

    > Unicode has Roman numerals and bar counting (base 0); why should base 16 be denied unique characters?

    It isn't. 0123456789ABCDEF. I have calculators which do sums with this notation.

    > Unicode has Roman numerals and bar counting (base 0); why should base 16 be denied unique characters?

    Because we don't have enough fingers.

    > Unicode has Roman numerals and bar counting (base 0); why should base 16 be denied unique characters?

    Because both begins with a B.

    > From another perspective, the English-language Arabic-numeral world came up with ASCII. Unicode was created to unlimit the character set to include coverage of other languages' characters. Why shouldn't a variety of numeric systems also be supported?

    A wide variety of numeric systems ***IS*** supported in the UCS. You can do sums in Sumerian and Egyptian and Linear B and Phoenician and lots of other numeric systems.