Re: Hexadecimal digits

From: Luke-Jr (luke@dashjr.org)
Date: Sat Jun 05 2010 - 12:35:36 CDT

    On Saturday 05 June 2010 11:26:27 am Doug Ewell wrote:
    > "Luke-Jr" <luke at dashjr dot org> wrote:
    > > Why not allow proposals of this nature a "draft" status, and require
    > > popular use before allowing it to become "standard" or "permanent"?
    >
    > What would be the effect of encoding characters as "draft"? Would they
    > be allocated space in the Unicode charts, described in the online book,
    > but simply marked as "draft" in the way some characters are marked as
    > "deprecated"? How would that be different from simply encoding any
    > characters anyone asks for on the public list?

    "Draft" characters would be ones which are not final and can be removed or
    replaced in the future, if they don't in the meantime gain popularity within
    some reasonable timeframe.

    > The IETF distinguishes "draft standards" and "proposed standards" and
    > "full standards," and the result is that the entire computing industry
    > ignores the intended distinction and treats all of these as equivalent
    > to "standard."

    The difference is in how the standards organisation treats them. It doesn't
    matter what the rest of the industry does, since IETF can still modify their
    draft standards before upgrading them to full.

    > If it's just you and your kids, the Private Use Area sounds like the way
    > to go.

    I've also created a "Hexadecimal / Tonal Mathematics" group on Facebook, to
    promote using it in daily life. ;)