RE: Overloading Unicode

From: William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon Jun 07 2010 - 07:25:38 CDT

    On Monday 7 June 2010, Erkki I. Kolehmainen <eik@iki.fi> wrote:

    > The Public Reviews are organized for relevant items, for which there is a great deal of expressed interest. In my opinion and recollection, your proposal doesn't qualify for this.

    Thank you for replying.

    Public Reviews are instituted by the Unicode Technical Committee.

    At the time of writing this post my proposal has indeed not received a great deal of expressed interest.

    Yet it is possible that there could be an increase of interest before the matter is discussed at a Unicode Technical Committee meeting.

    I have been thinking of trying to make a font with authoring-time glyphs in plane 15 starting at U+FA000 and trying to write some small test programs using putpixel for output. Designing the font is interesting as I am trying to have clear glyphs that are each indicative of a command of the portable interpretable object code without displaying the whole expression. For example, using w{ within a rounded square for the glyph for the while command and maybe }w within a rounded square for the glyph for the endwhile; command. Maybe just a d on its own within a rounded square for the glyph for the do command. The glyphs for the repeat loop commands and the glyphs for the if statement commands could be designed in a similar manner. There is an interesting design problem regarding the glyphs for the elsif and else commands. For example, maybe an e on its own for the glyph for the else command and maybe ei for the glyph for the elsif command.

    William Overington