Re: Hexadecimal digits

From: André Szabolcs Szelp (a.sz.szelp@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 08 2010 - 01:01:31 CDT

    > Now if I were
    > using the a-f notation, she would be (reasonably) confused as to why
    > *some*
    > numbers are unique, but *other* numbers are also letters.

    You greatly underestimate the abilities of children. This sentence of
    yours is especially (reasonably) confusing, given that yourself
    attested some sentences above the outstanding mental capabilities of
    your daughter:

    > My four year old can grasp tonal
    > just as well as she could decimal had I been teaching that.

    Actually, it's quite a common (mis)-conception, often even used as
    arguments for spelling reforms, that children wouldn't be able to cope
    with some idiosynchrasies of certain orthographic systems. Guess how
    they coped that far...

    Szabolcs