Re: Generic Base Letter

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Jun 26 2010 - 12:17:46 CDT

    On 6/26/2010 8:03 AM, Otto Stolz wrote:
    > Hi Vincent Setterholm,
    >
    > you have been asking:
    >> What I'd like to see is a code point for a generic base character
    >
    > You could try U+25CC DOTTED CIRCLE, though the reference glyph
    > for this cgaracter is larger than the dotted circles used to
    > attach the various combining marks, in their respective reference
    > glyphs.
    Yeah, that particular character is really a bad choice, because it was
    designed
    to harmonize with the other circles.

    Instead of something funky like a "generic base letter", a "small" or
    "medium"
    dotted circle could be encoded. It would be available for generic use as
    well,
    but have the size that's suitable for a base letter.

    Also, it would be a neutral, so, if present in a bidi context, an
    adjacent RLM
    mark or two would "fix" it's bidi properties to allow correct display order
    if used in isolation in mixed context (in pure Hebrew context it would
    resolve
    to RTL, of course).

    The advantage of this kind of approach is that it avoids addint another
    "special"
    character to Unicode.

    A./