Re: Indian Rupee Sign to be chosen today

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Sat Jun 26 2010 - 19:41:23 CDT

    Mark Davis ☕ wrote:

    > 1. The link
    > "http://groups.google.co.uk/group/de.test/msg/e027e91e7ef17f62"
    > doesn't appear to go to a public page. What I'm guessing is that
    > message was sent in Latin-15, which can't be reliably distinguished
    > from Latin-1. (UTF-8 would be much better of course.)

    No guessing needed; check the source of Andreas' message in the Unicode
    mail archive
    (http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2010-m06/0372.html):

    <!-- name="Andreas Prilop" -->
    <!-- email="prilop4321@trashmail.net" -->
    <!-- subject="Re: Indian Rupee Sign to be chosen today" -->
    <!-- id="Pine.LNX.4.64.1006251636240.22552@zen.rrzn.uni-hannover.de" -->
    <!-- charset="ISO-8859-15" -->

    Regarding the inability to distinguish 8859-15 heuristically from
    8859-1, I understand the problem when there are no tags or other hints,
    or for cases like Windows-1252 text declared to be 8859-1, but it seems
    unlikely to me that there is much text encoded in 8859-1 (or
    Windows-1252) that is tagged as 8859-15. I would think in a case like
    that, it might make sense to trust the tag. I suspect the problem of
    unreliable declarations is greater for most other tuples of
    (declared-encoding, actual-encoding).

    --
    Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
    RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­