RE: Generic Base Letter

From: CE Whitehead (cewcathar@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 27 2010 - 18:30:41 CDT

    Hi.

    I am not objecting to the 'invisible letter' proposal at:
    http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2822.pdf

    It seems sound.
    However the dotted circle seems to be the convention.
    Also the dotted circle 25CC seems to be working for me in IE8:
    when I displayed Vincent Setterholm's html code in my IE8 browser, the combining marks 05B8 and 05BC did combine appropriately with 25CC.
    But Vincent is right -- the combining mark characters in his email do not combine with 25CC only with each other, but there are no extra circles for the email in my browser!

    (I have only the one browser too for the moment.)

    As for documenting the use of the dotted circle 25CC, perhaps a change should be made to the note about it,

    saying that nevertheless (in spite of its size) this character can be used in combination with diacritics/combining marks.
    This would be done at http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U25A0.pdf

    Would this be possible?

    (I personally do not see why both a dotted circle and an invisible character could not be used to display with combining marks. Which one should be used in a particular case would depend on stylistic preferences. Whether or not the current dotted circle's size is o.k., I have no opinion. Hope this is helpful.)

    Best,
    -- C. E. Whitehead

    cewcathar@hotmail.com