Re: Generic Base Letter

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Jun 28 2010 - 00:00:18 CDT

    The one argument that I find convincing is that too many implementations
    seem set to disallow generic combination, relying instead on fixed
    tables of known/permissible combinations.

    In that situation, a formally adopted character with the clearly stated
    semantic of "is expected to actually render with ANY combining mark from
    ANY script" would have an advantage. List-based implementations would
    then know that this character is expected to be added to the rendering
    tables for all marks of all scripts.

    Until and unless that is done, it couldn't be used successfully in those
    environments, but if the proposers could get buy-in from a critical mass
    of vendors of such implementations, this problem could be overcome.

    Without such a buy-in, by the way, I would be extremely wary of such a
    proposal, because the table-based nature of these implementations would
    prohibit the use of this new character in the intended way.

    A./